“One of my really good recipe finds. We don’t have an Aunt Vada, but apparently she knew how to cook.” – Calla Ferre
Aunt Vada’s Best Banana Cake
- 2 1/2 Cups Cake Flour Sifted
- 1 3/4 Cup Sugar
- 2 1/4 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 3/4 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 3/4 Cup Butter Room Temperature
- 1 1/4 Cups (3 Medium) Very Ripe Bananas Mashed
- 2/3 Cup Buttermilk
- 2 Eggs
- 2/3 Cup Walnuts Finely Chopped
- Creamy Butter-Cheese Frosting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two 9-inch round cake pans with wax paper.
- Sift and measure flour, sift again into large bowl with sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add butter, banana, and 1/3 cup buttermilk. Beat 2 minutes. Add remaining buttermilk and eggs; beat 2 minutes. Fold in walnuts.
- Pour into prepared pans. Bake 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out dry. Cook on racks 15 minutes.
- Remove from pans and cool completely before frosting. Frost with Creamy Butter-Cheese Frosting or Banana Butter-Cheese Frosting variation. Makes 12-16 servings.
- Variation: Banana Sheet Cake: Bake in a 13x9x2 inch buttered and floured baking pan at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.
Recipe – Calla Ferre – From Knudsen’s Cooking For Compliments, 1977