“This is a very tasty, dressed up version of creamed peas, and as with most things the bacon adds some extra pizzazz. The original recipe also adds cashews, and while I love cashews, I don’t think this dish necessarily needs them.” – April Ferre
Creamed Petite Peas & Pearl Onions
- 10 Strips Bacon Chopped
- 2 Stalks Celery Finely Chopped
- 5 Cups (About 20 Ounces) Frozen Petite Peas Thawed & Drained
- 2 Cups (About 9 Ounces) Frozen Pearl Onions Thawed & Drained
- 3/4 Cup Chicken Broth
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Pepper
- 1/2 Teaspoon Dried Thyme
- 1/2 Cup Sour Cream
- 3/4 Cup Salted Cashews Optional
- Cook bacon in a small amount of oil until crisp. Remove to a small bowl and set aside. Reserve a small amount of drippings and sauté celery until tender.
- Add peas, onions, chicken broth, salt, pepper, and thyme and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook, uncovered, until the onions are tender and most of the liquid is evaporated, about 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and stir in sour cream, bacon and cashews if desired.
2020 Recipe – April Ferre – From Taste of Home