“Sometimes food surprises you. When I was an undergrad working in the Beaman Lab (so in reality the date on the recipe is really about 2003), someone brought in some bran muffins from the Coffee House. Initially, I wasn’t going to have one because who likes bran muffins? Right? But I was hungry. And guess what? These were fantastic! Moist and fluffy and the dates gave them extra sweetness. Fast forward many years and I was in the bookstore and saw that there was a Coffee House Cookbook, so I checked for this specific recipe. And there it was! It made my day.” – April Ferre
Coffee House Bran Muffins
- 1 1/2 Cups 100% Bran Cereal
- 1 Cup Boiling Water
- 3/4 Cup Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Molasses
- 1/2 Cup Oil
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Cups Buttermilk
- 1 1/2 Cups White Flour
- 1 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 2 1/2 Teaspoons Baking Soda
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 2 Cups Bran Flakes Cereal (or Raisin Bran)
- 1 Cup Dates Chopped
- 1 1/2 Cups Golden Raisins
- Pour boiling water over 100% bran cereal.
- While bran is soaking, cream sugar, molasses and oil. Add eggs and soaked bran and mix well. Stir in buttermilk.
- Combine flours, baking soda and salt. Mix in bran flakes, dates and raisins.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients, mixing until just moistened. Don't over mix!
- Fill greased or lined muffin tins about 2/3 full. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Makes 3 1/2 dozen.
2018 Recipe – April Ferre – from ASUCD Coffee House Cookbook, 2009