“I went searching for this recipe after the lab went out the Chevy’s for Tim’s birthday. It’s not incredibly sweet, but just a little bit and is quite satisfying after a large meal.” – April Ferre
Chevy’s Sweet Corn Tomalito
- 5 Tablespoons Margarine Softened
- 1/4 Cup Masa Harina Corn Flower
- 1/3 Cup Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 2 Cups Corn Kernels Divided
- 1/2 Cup Cornmeal
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 2 Tablespoons Plus 1 Teaspoon Milk
- In a small mixing bowl, mix the margarine, masa and sugar using an electric mixer until light and fluffy, about 1minute.
- In a blender container, blend half of the corn with the water until smooth. Combine this mixture with the margarine mixture, stirring well. Add the remaining corn kernels, corn meal, baking powder, salt and milk. Mix well.
- Pour the corn mixture into an 8×8-inch baking pan. Tightly cover with plastic wrap and steam by setting atop a medium saucepan of water on top of the stove.
- Bring water to a boil and steam corn mixture for 1 to 1 1/4 hour (making sure to check to see if you need to add more water), until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Note: The pan must be tightly wrapped at all times.
- Tomalito should have a smooth, moist texture. Makes 12 to 16 servings.
2004 Recipe – April Ferre – From Chevy’s Fresh Mex Restaurant