“My father was a school teacher, and when school was out for the summer, he would help bring in the cherry crops in Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin. He would bring some cherries home and we would use this recipe to make a pie.” – Jean Hansen
“This is a recipe I grew up with and it has always turned out good. No need to look further for a basic cherry pie recipe.” – Calla Ferre
Champion Cherry Pie
- 1 No. 303 Can (16 to 17 Ounces) Cherries
- 1 Cup Minus 2 Tablespoons Sugar
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons Corn Starch
- 1 Teaspoon Almond Flavoring
- 4 Drops Red Food Coloring
- 1 Recipe Double Pie Pastry
- Combine sugar and cornstarch. Add cherries. Cook until thick, stirring constantly. Boil for 1 minute. Add coloring and flavoring.
- Line a 9-inch pie plate with pie pastry and fill with cherry filling. Add top pie crust and vent.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 40 minutes or until crust is golden.
Early 1900s Recipe – Calla Stacker