“Who wouldn’t like these? They have both caramel and chocolate in them! Another one of my Mom’s traditional Christmas cookies.” – Calla Ferre
- 1 Cup Plus 2 Tablespoons Flour
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar Firmly Packed
- 3/4 Cup Quick Cooking Rolled Oats
- 1/2 Cup Butter
- 24 Light Colored Candy Caramels
- 2 Tablespoons Cream
- 1/2 Cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- Combine in mixing bowl 1 cup flour, baking soda, salt, brown sugar and oats. Cut in butter until particles are fine. Reserve 1 cup of this mixture. Press remaining mixture into the bottom of a greased 8-inch square pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Combine caramels and cream in double boiler. Cook over boiling water until caramels melt. Blend in 2 tablespoons flour. Spread carefully over baked base.
- Sprinkle with chocolate chips and then with reserved crumb mixture. Bake at 350 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes until delicately browned.
*If using Pillsbury’s Best Self-Rising Flour, omit salt and baking soda. Quick trick: Combine 1/2 cup vanilla caramel sauce with 2 tablespoons flour and substitute for melted caramels and cream.
Recipe – Jean Hansen