“In 2023 I received the Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Mentoring Undergraduate Research for my work training undergrads in the lab. They had some good food at the reception afterwards, including these skewers. I thought it was a great idea, so I’m adding it to our cookbook. The great thing about this is that it is so fast and easy to make, tastes great, and looks impressive on a platter if you want to bring something to a function. What is really fun is using novel, multi-colored cherry tomatoes and different basil varieties (think lemon basil!) grown in your own garden ” – April Ferre
Caprese Salad Skewers
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Pearl-Sized Mozzarella Balls
- Large, Fresh Basil Leaves
- Green or Black Olives Optional
- Thread Caprese salad ingredients onto skewers, alternating ingredients as desired, for instance: add a cherry tomato, a bunched-up basil leaf, mozzarella ball, olive and one more mozzarella ball.
- Having a firm cherry tomato or a mozzarella ball at the ends of the skewers will help keep the ingredients in place.
2023 Recipe – April Ferre