“I developed this recipe after finding out I was allergic to wheat. It helped to fill a void when I craved something sweet with a carbohydrate feel to it.” – Calla Ferre
“Mom brought these up to Davis when she came to watch my first karate tournament. They are a different and more hearty variation on Rice Krispie Treats. When it came to my holiday baking that year, I wanted to make these, but not remembering what she said was in them, I was left to improvise a bit. I got most of the ingredients right and they were still good. I happened to have had extra Macadamia nuts and used those instead of almonds and they worked really well too.” – April Ferre
Calla’s Cranberry Coconut Crispies
- 3 Cups Rice Krispies
- 1 Cup Cinnamon Chex Cereal
- 1 Cup Sliced Almonds
- 2 Cups Sweetened Flaked Coconut
- 1 Cup Dried Cranberries
- 4 Cups Miniature Marshmallows
- 1/4 Cup Butter
- Toast coconut. Combine first five ingredients in large bowl.
- In another large bowl, place marshmallows and butter. Microwave on high for 1 minute and stir. Microwave for another minute. Stir. It should be melted and well combined at this point, if not then microwave at short intervals until melted and combined.
- Add dry ingredients and stir until blended, working fast. Place in buttered 9×13-inch pan and pat down into pan. Waxed paper or buttered hands are helpful in pressing down into pan. Cool.
- Cut into either 2-inch squares or 1×2-inch bars. Wrap individual bars in plastic wrap and store until ready to enjoy! These travel well.
2011 Original Recipe – Calla Ferre