“Mom and I discovered wine coolers down at the Santa Cruz River Arts Festival down along the San Lorenzo River out behind the court house, so we had to figure out how to make them ourselves.” – Calla Ferre
- 1 Cup Orange Juice
- 1/4 Cup Honey
- 1 750 mL Bottle Dry White or Rose Wine
- 2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 2 Cups Carbonated (Seltzer) Water Chilled
- Orange Slices Optional
- In saucepan heat orange juice and honey together just until honey is blended. Cool to room temperature. Stir in wine and lemon juice. Cover and chill.
- Just before serving, slowly add carbonated water, stirring with up and down motion.
- Serve in tall glasses over ice. Garnish with orange slices if desired. Makes about 6 cups.
- Make it non-alcoholic: Substitute ginger ale or white grape juice for wine.
Late 1970’s Recipes – Calla Ferre, 2023 Non-Alcoholic Version – April Ferre