“I had some broccoli that was getting old in the fridge and couldn’t use but didn’t want to waste, so I decided to blanch and freeze it. After thawing, the texture wasn’t great, so I needed a recipe where that didn’t matter, and voila!” – April Ferre
Broccoli Cheddar Mashed Potatoes
- 2 Pounds Potatoes Peeled if Desired, Cut into 2-inch Pieces
- 2 Cups Broccoli Florets Coarsely Chopped
- 1/3 Cup Butter
- 1/4 to 1/2 Cup Half and Half
- 1 Cup Cheddar Cheese Shredded
- 1/2 to 1 Teaspoon Salt
- In a Dutch oven, cover potatoes with water and boil until tender. During the last 5 minutes of cooking; add broccoli.
- Strain potatoes and broccoli and return to Dutch oven. Add butter and beat with an electric mixer. Add 1/4 cup half and half, cheese and 1/2 teaspoon salt and beat until light and fluffy. Taste and add more half and half and salt as desired.