“I highly recommend using buttermilk bread with this recipe. As it is baking it gives off the most wonderful, cozy aroma. Optional, try adding a little bit of cinnamon and serve with maple syrup.” – April Ferre
- 4 Cups Day Old Bread Cubes About 4 Slices
- 3 Cups Milk
- 3 Eggs
- 1/3 Cup Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Almond Or Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 Cup Raisins
- Combine bread cubes and milk. Let stand 15 minutes.
- Beat together eggs, sugar, and extract. Poor egg mixture over bread mixture, stirring gently until blended. Stir in raisins.
- Pour into 1 1/2 quart casserole. Set casserole in 13x9x2 inch baking pan, place on rack in oven and fill pan with 1-inch very hot water. Bake in preheated 300 degree oven until knife inserted 1-inch from edge comes out clean, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Remove from hot water and let cool an hour. Bread pudding is very good served with a scoop of ice cream or with a little syrup.
Recipe – Helen Ferre