“I believe this recipe came from when my sister, Laurie, took home economics in middle school.” – Calla Ferre
- 2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 4 Tablespoons Baking Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cream of Tartar
- 2 Teaspoons Sugar
- 1/2 Cups Shortening
- 2/3 Cup Milk
- Sift dry ingredients together. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add milk at once. Stir until dough follows fork; turn on lightly floured board.
- Knead lightly for 30 seconds. Pat or roll into 1/2-inch thickness. Cut with biscuit cutter.
- Bake on greased cookie sheet in hot oven (450 degrees) for 10 to 12 minutes. Makes 16 medium biscuits.
1960s Recipe – Laurie Cameron