“I have been looking for a good wild rice dish and/or a wild rice stuffing for Roasted Chicken for awhile. I came across a basic recipe in this cookbook, which is part of the HP Books collection, so I knew it was a good base to start with. I took many of their suggestions for a wild rice stuffing, and then made a few little tweaks of my own. As it turns out, this works great as either a stuffing or just on its own as a side dish. A very elegant recipe, but a homey feel that marries well with a simple roasted chicken. Serve with steamed carrots and broccoli for a complete meal.” – April Ferre
Artichoke & Mushroom Wild Rice Stuffing
- 2/3 Cup Uncooked Wild Rice
- 1 1/3 Cup Water
- 3 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 Cup Sliced Mushrooms
- 2 Shallots or 1/2 Cup Onion Chopped
- 1 14-Ounce Can Artichoke Hearts Chopped
- 2 Cloves Garlic Chopped
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon Dried Thyme
- 1/4 Cup White Wine
- 1/4 Cup Slivered Almonds Toasted
- 1/4 Teaspoon Lemon Pepper
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- Cook rice in water on stove top or in rice cooker.
- In medium skillet, sauté mushrooms and shallots in butter. Remove to bowl.
- Add more butter, if necessary, and sauté garlic briefly, then add artichoke hearts and sauté another minute or so.
- Combine mushrooms and shallots with artichoke hearts in skillet. Mix in white wine, thyme, lemon pepper, and salt. Sauté a couple minutes more until most of the liquid has been absorbed. Remove to large bowl.
- Mix in toasted almonds and cooked wild rice. Taste and add additional seasoning if desired.
- Use this as a side dish or to stuff chicken. Makes enough to stuff approximately two 5-pound chickens.
2012 Modified Recipe – April Ferre – From The Complete Cook by Pat Jester, 1984