“These are approaching a more ‘healthy’ cookie (i.e. they don’t have chocolate.) They are a new chewy cookie and little something different for your sweet tooth.” – April Ferre
Apricot-Oatmeal Whole Wheat Cookies
- 3/4 Cup Shortening
- 1 1/2 Cup Light Brown Sugar Packed
- 1 Egg
- 1/4 Cup Water
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla
- 1 Cup Whole Wheat Flour Unsifted
- 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 2 Cups Quick Cooking Rolled Oats
- 1 Cup Dried Apricots Chopped
- Cream shortening and brown sugar in large mixer bowl until light and fluffy. Add egg, water and vanilla; beat well.
- Combine whole wheat flour, baking soda and salt; stir into creamed mixture. Stir in oats and apricots.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto lightly greased cookie sheet; flatten slightly. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from cookie sheet and cool completely on wire rack.
1993 Recipe – April Ferre