“Use this recipe to start up a baking chain with your friends and family! Make sure to give them a copy of Amish Friendship Bread with Variations.” – April Ferre
Amish Friendship Bread Starter
- 1 Package (2 1/4 Teaspoons) Active Dry Yeast
- 1/4 Cup Warm Water 110 Degrees
- 1 Cup Flour
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1 Cup Milk
- In small bowl, combine yeast and warm water (temperature is very important). Proof yeast 10 minutes.
- In separate bowl, combine flour and sugar, stir in milk. Blend well. Add yeast to mixture.
- Measure out 1 cup batter into each of 3 Ziploc bags. This is Day 1 of the 10 day baking cycle. Keep one starter for yourself, and give the other two to friends along with instructions for the 10 day baking cycle.
2009 Recipe – April Ferre