“During college, I spent a lot of time hanging out at my friends’, Joyce and Pat, apartment. Joyce made something a kin to this one night from packaged gelatin, I assume from an Asian market, because I couldn’t find it in the grocery store. So I sought out to find a recipe for it. This is my favorite use of fruit cocktail.” – April Ferre
Almond Curd Junket
- 1 Ounce Gelatin Powder
- 1/4 Cup Sugar
- 2 1/2 Cups Milk
- 1 1/4 Cup Water
- 2 1/2 Teaspoons Almond Extract
- -Or 1 Tablespoon Torani Orgeat Almond Syrup
- 1 28- Ounce Can Fruit Cocktail Well Drained
- Combine gelatin and sugar in bowl.
- In saucepan, combine milk and water over medium heat. Heat milk mixture until scalding, but do not allow it to boil.
- Remove from heat and whisk in gelatin mixture until dissolved. Stir in almond flavoring. Pour into 9×13-inch glass baking dish and refrigerate 2-3 hours or until set.
- To serve, cut the junket into small cubes and spoon into serving bowl. Mix in fruit cocktail. Optional … top with sweetened whipped cream.
2003 Adapted Recipe – April Ferre – From Chinese: The Essence of Asian Cooking, 2002