“As I was preparing the 10th Anniversary Edition of this cookbook, I commented to my friend, Delandy, that my selection of vegetarian dishes was pretty pathetic. What can I can I say, we are carnivores. Anyway, she told me this recipe and I wrote it down to go in the cookbook. Very simple to make, and Delandy and her husband, Chris, both enjoy this.” – April Ferre
Vegetable Pasta Casserole
- Pasta (Such as Rotini, Penne or Elbow) Cooked
- Assorted Fresh Vegetables Sliced or Cubed
- Parmesan Cheese Grated
- Fontina Cheese Grated
- Marinara Sauce
- Mozzarella Cheese Grated
- 8 Ounces Rotini Pasta
- 1 Large Zucchini Diced
- 1 Large Yellow Squash Diced
- 1 Cup Butternut Squash Diced
- 8 Ounces Small Cremini Mushrooms Quartered
- 1 Large Onion Diced Large
- 1 14.5- Ounce Can Diced Fire Roasted Tomatoes
- 1 Cup Parmesan Cheese Grated
- 1 1/2 Cup (About 5 Ounces) Fontina Cheese Grated
- 1 24- Ounce Jar Prego with Basil and Garlic
- 8 to 10 Ounces Whole Milk Mozzarella Cheese Grated
- Cook pasta in boiling, salted water. Drain well.
- Bring together an assortment of fresh vegetables (zucchini, yellow squash, butternut squash, eggplant, bell pepper, mushrooms, tomatoes, onions, etc.) Cut into bite sized pieces.
- Combine pasta, vegetables, Parmesan cheese, fontina cheese, and marinara sauce in a casserole dish (April's version fits in a 9x13x2-inch dish.)
- Top with mozzarella cheese and bake 30 minutes at 375 degrees until cheese is melted and golden.
Recipe – Delandy McConnell – From one of her neighbors in Sacramento