“My mom would make these with the walnut filling. These are what we called cinnamon rolls in our house growing up.” – Calla Ferre
Sweet & Sticky Rolls
- 1/2 Cup Milk Scalded
- 3 Tablespoons Shortening
- 3 Tablespoons Sugar
- 2 Teaspoons Salt
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 1 Package (2 1/4 Teaspoons) Active Dry Yeast
- 1 Egg
- 3 Cups Flour Sifted
- Combine milk, shortening, sugar and salt. Cool to lukewarm by adding water. Add in yeast and mix well. Blend in egg. Gradually add in flour. Mix until dough is well-blended and soft.
- Roll out dough on a well-floured board to 18×12-inch rectangle. Spread with cinnamon or pecan filling. Roll as for jelly roll and cut into 1-inch slices. Place cut side down onto greased 12x8x2-inch pan or muffin tins. Let rise in warm place until doubled (about 1 hour).
- Bake at 375 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes. Makes 18 medium rolls.
- Spread dough with: 2 Tablespoons Butter, Melted; 1/4 Cup Sugar; 1 Teaspoon Cinnamon.
Pecan or Walnut Filling:
- Spread dough with: 1/4 Cup Brown Sugar; 1 Teaspoon Cinnamon; and 1/4 Cup Pecans or Walnuts, Chopped.
- Combine 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar; 3 Tablespoons Light Corn Syrup; 1 Tablespoon Butter; and 1/4 Cup Pecans or Walnuts, Chopped. Spread mixture in bottom of 12x8x2-inch pan. Place rolls on top of filling.
1953 Recipe – Jean Hansen – A Pillsbury Bake-Off Winner