“This is a nice version of a sweet and sour sauce, but without a tomato base. The recipe calls for breaded, fried shrimp, but if you want to save time (or are gluten-intolerant), you can just sauté the shrimp with some olive oil instead.” – April Ferre
Sweet & Sour Shrimp
- 1 1/2 Pounds Shrimp Peeled & Deveined
- Vegetable Oil
- 2 Eggs Beaten
- 1/2 Cup Flour
- 1 Green Pepper Cut Into Strips
- 1 15-Ounce Can Pineapple
- 1/2 Cup Vinegar
- 2/3 Cup Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Cornstarch
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Soy Sauce
- In medium-sized skillet, heat 1 1/2 to 2 inches oil to 375 degrees.
- Meanwhile, blend eggs with flour for batter. Add shrimp and toss to coat evenly. Fry in salad oil until golden on all sides. Remove to heated platter.
- Pour off all but 2 Tablespoons oil. Sauté green pepper until just translucent but not limp.
- Add pineapple with juice, vinegar, sugar, cornstarch mixed with water, salt, and soy sauce. Cook 6 to 7 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Stir in shrimp. Serve over rice. Makes 5 to 6 servings.
Recipe – Helen Ferre