“As with most meatballs, these can be served as a main dish or an appetizer.” – Calla Ferre
Sweet And Sour Sausage Balls
- 4 Pounds Bulk Pork Sausage
- 4 Eggs Slightly Beaten
- 1 1/2 Cups Soft Bread Crumbs
- 3 Cups Catsup
- 3/4 Cup Brown Sugar Firmly Packed
- 1/2 Cup White Wine Vinegar
- 1/2 Cup Soy Sauce
- Prepare at least 1 day ahead or freeze.
- Mix together sausage, eggs, and bread crumbs. Using palms of hands, shape mixture into balls the size of walnuts. Sauté in frying pan until browned on all sides. Drain into colander.
- Combine catsup, brown sugar, vinegar, and soy sauce. Pour over sausage balls and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve in hot chafing dish. If balls are to be frozen, freeze in sauce. Heat slowly to thaw until hot.
Recipe – Jean Hansen – From Coffee, Tea or My Favorite Recipe, 1982.