“Forget Wetzel’s Pretzels … you can make your own!” – April Ferre
Sweet Cinnamon Pretzels
- 1 Package Active Dry Yeast
- 1/2 Cup Water Warm (110 Degrees)
- 1/2 Cup Milk Warm (110 Degrees)
- 1/3 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/3 Cup Butter Or Margarine
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Egg
- 3 1/2 To 4 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 2 Tablespoons Butter Or Margarine
- 3 Tablespoons Brown Sugar Packed
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 3/4 Cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Butter Or Margarine
- 1 Tablespoon Hot Water
- In a large bowl, mix yeast and water; let stand 5 minutes to soften. Add milk, sugar, butter, salt, egg and 2 cups of flour. Beat with an electric mixer or spoon until smooth. Gradually beat in enough of the remaining flour to make dough easy to handle.
- On a floured board, knead dough until smooth, about 5 minutes. Turn dough over in a greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let rise in warm place until doubled, about 1 1/2 hours. (Or cover dough and let rise in the refrigerator at least 8 hours or up to 2 days).
- Punch dough down and roll out on floured board into a 12×14 inch rectangle. Brush with 2 tablespoons butter. Combine brown sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle crosswise over half the rectangle. Fold plain half onto sugared half and press gently to seal.
- Cut rectangle into 12 strips. Roll strips into smooth 20 inch ropes. Place ropes well apart on greased baking sheets and twist like pretzels; tuck ends under. Cover with plastic wrap; let rise in a warm place until puffy, (about 25 minutes; 35 minutes if cold).
- Bake at 350 degrees until golden brown, about 12 minutes. Drizzle with glaze while still warm. Makes 12.
- Glaze: Beat powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon margarine and 1 tablespoon water until smooth. Use at once.
Recipe – Calla Ferre