“This recipe is from my Great Grandma Calla, it’s likely she served these with her afternoon tea.” – April Ferre
- 2 Cups Flour Sifted
- 4 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 2 Tablespoons Sugar
- 3/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 Cup + 2 Tablespoons Shortening
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 Cup Raisins
- About 2/3 Cup Milk
- Jam Raspberry Recommended
- Sift flour, baking powder, sugar and salt together. Cut or blend in shortening. Add raisins. Put egg in cup and beat with a fork. Fill with milk and beat a little more. Add to flour mixture. Add enough milk to make a soft dough.
- Divide into two pieces and flatten each to about 1-inch thickness. Cut each into 4 wedge-shaped pieces.
- Bake 15 minutes at 450 degrees.
- While still hot, split nearly through and spread with butter and about 1 tablespoon raspberry jam. Makes 8 scones.
Early 1900s Recipe – Calla Stacker