Sautéed Tofu with Mushrooms
- 1 Cake Tofu
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Cornstarch
- 4 Tablespoons Oil
- 1 Clove Garlic Crushed
- 2 Stalks Leek In 4-Inch Lengths
- 6 Ounces Pork In Bite Size Pieces
- 3 Dried Stemmed Chinese Mushrooms
- 1 Tablespoon Dry Sherry
- 1/2 Teaspoon Sugar
- 3 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
- Soak Chinese mushroom in lukewarm water until tender.
- Pat tofu dry, sprinkle with salt and cut into 8 pieces. Sprinkle with cornstarch. Heat 2 tablespoons oil and sauté tofu on high heat until golden, taking care not to break up tofu. Remove and set aside.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons of oil, brown garlic on medium heat and discard. Add leek, pork, and mushrooms. Stir-fry 1 minute.
- Add tofu, dry sherry, sugar and soy sauce. Reduce heat to low and stir (by shaking pan) for 3 minutes. Serve hot. Serves 2 as a main course or 2 to 4 Chinese style.
If desired, use 2 tablespoons oyster sauce instead of soy sauce.
1989 Recipe – Jean Hansen – From her cooking class with Julia Cheng