“To celebrate the big occasion of my thirty-fifth birthday, my husband surprised me with a weekend trip to Carmel. We stayed at the Highlands Inn, which commands a spectacular view of the central California coast. Both nights we dined there, in the Pacific Edge dining room. Everything we ordered was great, but since I am a dessert lover, I am especially interested in the strawberry shortcake recipe. Would pastry chef Bruno Feldeisen tell Bon Appetit how he prepares it?” – Nancy Hare; Phoenix, Arizona (Bon Appetit Magazine)
Poppy Seed Strawberry Shortcakes
- 3 1- Pint Baskets Strawberries Sliced
- 2/3 Cup + 2 Tablespoons Sugar
- 1 1/2 Cup Flour
- 1 Tablespoon Poppy Seeds
- 2 Teaspoons Cream Of Tartar
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 6 Tablespoons Butter
- 1/2 Cup Half And Half
- Sweetened Whipped Cream
- Toss berries with 2/3 cup sugar in bowl. Cover and refrigerate 3 hours. (Can be prepared 6 hours ahead.)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine flour, remaining 2 tablespoons sugar, poppy seeds, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt in bowl. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add half and half; mix just until moist clumps form. Turn dough out onto floured surface; roll out into 1/2-inch thick round.
- Cut out biscuits until 3-inch round cookie cutter. Transfer to heavy, large cookie sheet, spacing apart. Bake until golden brown, about 12 minutes. Cool biscuits on rack.
- Using serrated knife, cut biscuits horizontally in half. Place lower halves cut side up on plates. Top with berries and dollops of whipped cream. Cover with biscuit tops. Serve, passing remaining berries separately.
1993 Recipe – Jean Hansen – From Bon Appetit Magazine