“Every year for Christmas Bridget makes her famous biscotti and her husband, Burke, makes various baked goods to include in gifts for their friends. One year he included these lemon truffles in the package. They were so good and it was hard to not eat them all in on sitting. I did my best to eat just two at a time and they were the perfect complement to my cup of tea in the evening. They pointed me to the recipe on the internet and it was fun to find all the possible variations. I can’t wait to experiment!” – April Ferre
- 36 (1 14.3-Ounce Package) Oreos Any Flavor
- 1 8-Ounce Package Cream Cheese Softened
- 16 Ounces White, Milk or Dark Melting Chocolate
- Desired Garnishes Optional (See Note)
- Line a baking sheet with wax or parchment paper. Place oreos in a food processor and pulse into fine crumbs. Add cream cheese and pulse in bursts until well combined. Form the mixture into 1-inch balls and place on the lined cookie sheet. Freeze truffles for about 15 minutes.
- Melt chocolate. Remove truffles from the freezer and dip in the melted chocolate. Return to the baking sheet and sprinkle on any desired garnishes. Allow chocolate to set and then store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Lemon Truffles: Use lemon oreos and add lemon zest. Dip in white chocolate. Garnish with crushed lemon heads candy.
- Peppermint Truffles: Add 1 1/2 teaspoons peppermint extract. Garnished with crushed candy cane or peppermint candies.
- Peanut Butter Truffles: Substitute Nutter Butters for Oreos. Garnished with chopped Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups.
- Mocha Truffles: Add 1 1/2 Teaspoons instant espresso powder and 2 Tablespoons Kahlua. Garnish with crushed espresso beans.
Garnishes: Get creative with garnishes, use extra crushed oreos, candy sprinkles, crushed candy cane, crushed toffee, crushed espresso beans, shredded coconut, or chopped nuts. Or drizzle with a contrasting color chocolate. Use your imagination to create new variations with different flavor oreos. Or try adding liqueurs, other flavorings, or citrus zest to the cream cheese before pulsing with the crushed cookie crumbs. The sky is the limit!
2022 Recipe – Burke Lucy