“My son, Tom, made these for the fair one year and won a ribbon with them. They have a nice sweetness about them, without being overpowering.” – Calla Ferre
Orange Tea Biscuits
- 2 Cups Flour Sifted
- 3 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 Cup Shortening
- 3/4 Cup Milk
- Grated Rind Of 1 Orange
- Sugar Cubes
- Orange Juice
- Sift together flour, baking powder, salt and orange rind. Cut in shortening. Stir in milk to make a soft dough.
- Round up on lightly floured cloth-covered board. Knead lightly, about 30 seconds. Roll or pat out to 1/2-inch thickness. Cut.
- Place on ungreased cookie sheets. Press 1/2 cube sugar, dipped in orange juice, into top of each biscuit.
- Bake until golden brown in 450 degree oven, about 10-12 minutes. Serve piping hot with butter and jelly, honey or syrup. Makes twenty 1 3/4- inch round biscuits.
1999 Recipe – Thomas Ferre – From Betty Crocker’s Picture Cookbook, 1956