“HOT. Too hot for me. Will eat your insides out if you aren’t use to hot, but definitely enjoyed by those who love spicy.” – Calla Ferre
“Beau Jacques of La Canada offers his favorite chili.” (Magazine Clipping)
Mountain Man Chili
- 1 1/2 Pound Beef Flank Steak
- 1 1/2 Pound Pork Shoulder
- 4 Large Celery Stalks Chopped
- 1 Large Onion Chopped
- 1 Large Tomato Chopped
- 1 8- Ounce Can Tomato Sauce
- 1 7- Ounce Can Green Chili Salsa
- 1 7 3/4- Ounce Can Hot Tomato Sauce
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Oregano
- 2 Teaspoons Chili Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Tabasco Sauce
- 1 Can Beer
- 1 Cup Masa Harina Flour
- Debone pork and cut fat off of both pork and beef. In Dutch oven render fat; remove dried chucks.
- Cut pork and beef into fingertip chunks; brown in rendered fat.
- Put all remaining ingredients except beer and flour into saucepan and cook 20 minutes while meat simmers.
- Add cooked ingredients from saucepan into Dutch oven. Add beer and cover. Simmer 1 1/2 hours, stirring as little as possible.
- Combine flour with water for a watery paste. Add to pot and simmer an additional 30 minutes. Serves 6.
1989 Recipe – Jean Hansen