“Soups are often times something you just throw together. My family wanted to know how I did this, so I figured out the proportions. If you are feeling like a really rich soup, use heavy whipping cream instead of milk.” – Calla Ferre
Mom’s Clam Chowder
- 7 To 8 Slices Thick-Sliced Bacon Sliced Against Grain
- 2 Medium Onions Chopped
- 6 Potatoes Diced
- 1 1/3 Cup Carrots Sliced
- 4 Can Clams
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 3 Cups Milk Or Half And Half
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- Pepper To Taste Optional
- Fry bacon until crisp; do not drain fat. Add onions and sauté.
- Put in potatoes and carrots. Add water to not quite cover, and then liquid from clams and butter. Simmer until vegetables are tender.
- Add milk and clams. Season with salt. Thicken with flour/water mixture.
- If making soup ahead of time, make soup a little thinner than desired. It will thicken more with the second heating.
Original Recipe – Calla Ferre