- 2 Quarts Popcorn Popped
- 2 Cups Nuts Chopped Or Whole
- 1 1/3 Cup Molasses
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 Tablespoon Vinegar
- 2/3 Cup Water
- 1/4 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Combine popcorn and nuts in a large 4-inch deep, buttered baking pan. Keep warm in the oven.
- Butter two 8×8 inch baking pans. Mix together molasses, sugar, butter, vinegar and water. Cook slowly, without stirring, until mixture reaches 250 degrees on a candy thermometer.
- Add baking soda and mix well. Remove from heat and quickly stir in vanilla.
- Remove popcorn and nuts from oven. Pour mixture over and mix well. Pour into buttered 8×8 pans. Cut when cool. Makes 24 squares.
1983 Recipe – Calla Ferre – From Santa Cruz Sentinel, Wednesday, October 26, 1983