“I grew up with this Meatloaf. Some people claim that meatloaf is too dry, but not this one!” – Calla Ferre
‘Easy to make ahead of time and freezes well. I like to eat mine with a bit of catsup on the side.” – April Ferre
- 2 Pounds Ground Beef
- 2 Heels Bread Made Into Crumbs
- 2/3 Cup Milk Approximate
- 1/3 Cup Onion Chopped
- 1 Egg
- 1 To 2 Stalks Celery Chopped (Optional)
- 1 Teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/2 Teaspoon Horseradish
- 1 Tablespoon Parsley Chopped (Optional)
- 1/4 Cup Catsup
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/8 Teaspoon Pepper (Optional)
- 2 To 3 Slices Bacon
- Combine all ingredients except for ground beef and bacon; stir until blended.
- Stir in ground beef. The goal is to get the meat lighter than ground beef, but not too mushy. Not so light as in Frikadeller.
- Place in loaf pan and top with bacon. Bake at 350-375 degrees for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Variation: Add 1 Cup Chopped Sautéed Mushrooms.
Recipe evolved since 1927 – Calla Stacker