“I’ve seen mixes for these, but why use them when they are so easy to make yourself. As with most all lemon desserts, they are best with Meyer lemons.” – Calla Ferre
“These are a favorite of my friend, Delandy. I would trade them for Barbecued Pork Buns!” – April Ferre
- 1 Cup Flour
- 1/2 Cup Butter
- 1/4 Cup Confectioner’s Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 2 Teaspoons Lemon Peel If Desired
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Measure flour by dipping method or by sifting. Blend flour, butter and confectioner's sugar thoroughly. Press evenly in 8×8 pan. Bake 20 minutes.
- Beat rest of ingredients together. Pour over crust and bake 20 to 25 minutes more. Do not over bake (the filling puffs during baking, but flattens when cooled).
- Note: if using Gold Medal Self-Rising flour, omit baking powder and salt. Makes 16 squares.
1950’s Recipe – Jean Hansen – From Better Homes and Gardens