“The best beef stroganoff, in my opinion. It’s very rich, very creamy and great during the cold winter months.” – April Ferre
“Cooking for Compliments is a very good cookbook, so we tried this recipe and it has become one of our favorites. Knudsen’s sour cream is the best, and so are their recipes.” – Calla Ferre
Knudsen’s Beef Stroganoff
- 1/4 Cup Butter
- 1/2 Pound Fresh Mushrooms Sliced
- 3/4 Cup Onions Finely Chopped
- 1/4 Cup Flour
- 3/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 1/2 Pounds Beef Sirloin Tip Cut In Strips
- Cooking Oil
- 1 1/3 Cup Beef Bouillon
- 1 Teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 3 Tablespoons Tomato Paste Optional
- Water If Necessary
- 1 Cup 1/2 Pint Sour Cream
- Hot Cooked Noodles
- Chopped Fresh Parsley For Garnish
- Melt butter in fry pan. Wash, drain and slice mushrooms. Sauté mushrooms until golden. Using slotted spoon remove to plate. Sauté onion until golden. Remove to plate with a slotted spoon.
- Combine flour and salt in a paper bag. Add beef strips and shake to dredge. Brown beef strips, a few at a time, in butter remaining in frying pan. Add oil as necessary. Remove to plate as soon as browned one each side. Pour off excess oil.
- Return beef and onions to fry pan. Add bouillon, Worcestershire sauce, and tomato paste (if desired). Blend. Cover and simmer gently until meat is tender, 30-45 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking. Add water, if necessary, to make 1 cup sauce.
- Before serving, add mushrooms to beef-sauce mixture and remove from heat. Empty sour cream into a medium bowl. Gradually add beef-sauce mixture, stirring constantly. Return to fry pan and heat gently to serving temperature.
- Serve over hot cooked noodles. Garnish with parsley. Makes 4-6 servings.
- Original Beef Stroganoff: Omit mushrooms and tomato paste. Use beef tenderloin and cook just until sauce thickens. Add 1/2 Teaspoon mustard, if desired.
- Hamburger Stroganoff: Substitute about 1 1/2 Pounds Ground Beef for sirloin. Reduce flour to 3 Tablespoons and add to hamburger after draining off excess fat. Add bouillon and cook just until thickened.
- Quick Turkey Stroganoff: Omit beef. Add 2 Tablespoons Sherry with bouillon and heat to boiling. Add 2 Cups chunked leftover turkey with sour cream.
- Calorie-Conscious Stroganoff: Stir 2 Tablespoons Flour into beef after draining excess oil. Substitute 1 Cup Buttermilk or 1 Cup Plain Yogurt for sour cream. Trims 75 calories from each serving. Yogurt version is tangy.
Recipe – Calla Ferre – From Knudsen’s Cooking For Compliments, 1977