“The dressing on this salad is very good (it can also be found at Italian Salad Dressing). Jennie would often make this for Dental Hygiene Component meetings.” – Calla Ferre
Italian Bread Salad
- 1/3 Cup plus 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 3 Tablespoons Red Wine Vinegar
- 2 Garlic Cloves Minced
- 1 Teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 1/8 to 1/4 Teaspoon Dried Crushed Red Bell Pepper
- 4 Cups French Bread Cubed
- 1 Large Head Romaine Lettuce Chopped
- 4 to 5 Large Plum Tomatoes Chopped
- 2 Cups Smoked Ham Chopped
- 8 Ounces Mozzarella Cheese Cubed
- 3 Green Onions Chopped
- Place bread cubes on a baking sheet. Bake at 325 degrees for 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Set bread cubes aside.
- Wish together olive oil and next 5 ingredients.
- Reserve 1 cup bread cubes. Scatter remaining cubes on a large serving platter. Top with lettuce and next 3 ingredients. Drizzle with dressing, and toss. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.
- Sprinkle with reserved bread cubes and green onions. Makes 4 servings.
For an Italian sub-like flavor, substitute 1 cup thinly sliced salami, such as Genoa for 2 cups ham.
2003 Modified Recipe – Jennie Shabel – From Southern Living Magazine