“Good hot or cold, a nice change from traditional potato salad and very tasty. I’ve only had this made with poppy seed; celery seed would give it a complete different flavor.” – Calla Ferre
Hot German Potato Salad
- 6 Medium Potatoes
- 6 Slices Bacon Save Drippings
- 3/4 Cup Onion Chopped or Thinly Sliced
- 2 Tablespoons Flour
- 1 to 2 Tablespoons Sugar As Desired
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Poppy Seed
- Dash Pepper
- 3/4 Cup Water
- 1/2 Cup Vinegar
- Boil potatoes in their skins until tender. Refrigerate until cold, or overnight. Peel and cube potatoes.
- Fry bacon strips until crisp. Reserve 1/3 cup bacon fat in the skillet; add onion and cook until yellow.
- Mix in flour, sugar, salt, poppy seed, and pepper. Stir in water and vinegar gradually. Cook, stirring until mixture boils. Boil for 1 minute.
- Pour over potatoes. Add the bacon , broken into pieces (save some for garnish). Cover and let stand until ready to serve. Heat over hot water.
- Serve in large bowl garnished with bacon pieces, minced parsley or chives. Makes 6 servings.
- Variation: Substitute Celery Seed for Poppy Seeds
1948 Recipe – Jean Hansen