“An excellent recipe. My sister, Laurie, came to visit one time and she said she didn’t like Graham Cracker Crusts, but when she tried this, she changed her mind. I generally use nutmeg, what that addition, it gives it just enough flavor to make it special.” – Calla Ferre
“An all-purpose Graham Cracker crust for scrumptious Cheesecakes.” – April Ferre
Graham Cracker Crumb Crust
- 1 1/3 Cup Graham Cracker Crumbs (About 7 Whole Graham Crackers)
- 1/4 Cup Butter Or Margarine Softened
- 1/4 Cup Sugar
- 1/4 Teaspoon Cinnamon Or Nutmeg Optional
- In a medium bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs, sugar, butter and nutmeg. Blend until crumbly. Save out 1/3 of the crumbs to sprinkle on top of the pie if desired. Press remaining crumbs evenly on the bottom and sides of a 9-inch pie plate, making a small rim.
- Bake in moderate oven (375 degrees) for 8 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool on wire rack and fill as pie recipe directs.
- Unbaked Graham Cracker Crumb Crust: Use the same ingredients as for baked crust, but do not make rim on pie shell. Chill about 1 hour or until set before filling.
- Walnut Graham Cracker Crumb Crust: Reduce crumbs to 1 cup and add 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts. Follow directions for baked pie crust. You can use finely chopped pecans, almonds or Brazil nuts instead of walnuts if you wish.
- Chocolate Graham Cracker Crumb Crust: Reduce graham cracker crumbs and add two squares grated unsweetened baking chocolate. Follow recipe for baked pie crust.
- Vanilla Wafer Crumb Crust: Substitute vanilla wafer crumbs for Graham cracker crumbs. Spices are optional.
Recipe – Calla Ferre – From Farm Journal’s Complete Pie Cookbook, 1965