“Use peaches or nectarines for this jam. Has a nice flavor that is not overly sweet. The Strawberry-Peach version comes out a little thinner than with peaches alone, but makes a great syrup for pancakes or waffles or over ice cream.” – April Ferre
Fresh Nectarine Jam
- 1 1/2 To 2 Pounds Fresh Nectarines
- 1/4 Cup Lime Or Lemon Juice
- 1 8- Ounce Can Applesauce
- 1 1 3/4 Ounce Package Powdered Pectin
- 5 1/2 Cups Sugar
- Rinse nectarines. Remove pits and chop unpared fruit to measure 3 cups.
- Combine in saucepan with lime juice, applesauce and powdered pectin. Bring to a hard boil over high heat. Add sugar and bring to hard boil. Boil at high heat for 1 minute. Remove from heat. Skim off foam. Stir occasionally and skim for 5 minutes.
- Ladle into 5 hot, sterilized 8-ounce glasses and top with melted paraffin or seal in half-pint jars.
Recipe – Calla Ferre – From Santa Cruz Sentinel Food Editor, Barbara Burklo