“I made these with fresh blackberries from Impossible Acres Pickin’ Patch in Davis, California. The blackberries are slightly tart and the muffin is slightly sweet. It makes for a nice combination. You could substitute other fruit for blackberries as well.” – April Ferre
“My favorite B&B is the White Swan Guest House in Mount Vernon, Washington. With breakfast, they often offer scrumptious blackberry muffins that have an appealing cake-like texture.” – Jennifer Lesser; Vancouver, Washington (Bon Appetit Magazine)
Fresh Blackberry Muffins
- 1/2 Cup Butter Softened
- 1 1/4 Cup Sugar
- 2 Large Eggs Room Temperature
- 2 Cups Flour
- 2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Cup Milk
- 2 Cups Fresh Blackberries
- 4 Teaspoons Sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease 18 muffin cups.
- Using electric mixer, cream butter and 1 1/4 cup sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt into small bowl. Mix dry ingredients into butter mixture alternately with milk. Fold in berries.
- Divide batter among prepared cups. Sprinkle remaining sugar over top. Bake until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
2011 Recipe – Jean Hansen – From Bon Appetit Magazine