“A very delicate cookie, as the name suggests. These are very then and really flatten out when baking, so don’t put them too close together on the cookie sheet.” – Calla Ferre
French Lace Cookies
- 1 Cup Flour
- 1 Cup Nuts Finely Chopped
- 1/2 Cup Corn Syrup
- 1/2 Cup Shortening
- 2/3 Cup Brown Sugar Packed
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Measure flour by dipping method or sifting. Blend flour and nuts.
- Bring corn syrup, shortening and sugar to boil in saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; gradually stir in flour and nuts.
- Drop batter by level teaspoonfuls about 3-inches apart on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake only 8 to 9 cookies at a time. Bake 5 to 6 minutes; remove from oven and allow to stand for 5 minutes before removing from baking sheet. Makes 4 dozen cookies.
- Lace Roll Up: While still warm, at magic moment roll cookies into a cylindrical shape. If cool too much, return to oven for a minute.
Do not use self-rising flour.
Recipe – Elizabeth Ruth “Bee” Cameron