“A good basic cake recipe from Betty Crocker.” – Calla Ferre
Fluffy Gold Cake
- 2 1/3 Cups Flour Sifted
- 1 2/3 Cup Sugar
- 4 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Cup Shortening
- 1 1/4 Cup Milk
- 1 Teaspoon Lemon Extract
- 1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla
- 5 Egg Yolks
- Grease and generously flour (or line with wax paper) two 9×9-inch layer pans or 9×13-inch oblong pan.
- Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in shortening. Pour in half of the milk, also add lemon extract and vanilla. Blend. Add remaining milk; beat 2 minutes. Add egg yolks. Mix well. Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees until cake tests done, 25 to 35 minutes for layers and 40 to 50 minutes for square or oblong. Cool and finish with desired frosting.
- For smaller cake: 1 3/4 Cup Flour, 1 1/4 cup Sugar, 3 Teaspoons Baking Powder, 3/4 Teaspoon Salt, 3/8 Cup Shortening, 1 Cup Milk, 3/4 Teaspoon Lemon Extract, 1/4 Teaspoon Vanilla, 4 Egg Yolks.
Recipe – Jean Hansen – From the Betty Crocker Picture Cookbook, 1950