“Learning how to make this is a family tradition. I remember my Mom teaching me how to make it, and I remember teaching my daughter to make it.” – Calla Ferre
“Apparently my Grandma Helen made a really good bread dressing as well. It is possible, that it was with her recipe cards. I did find this recipe among them: Bread Dressing. We won’t ever know for sure whether or not that is the same recipe, which is why I’ve taken to document the family recipes in as much detail as I can, so treasures like this will not be lost.” – April Ferre
Dressing For Turkey
- 13 Slices 4-Day-Old Bread
- 3/4 Pound Turkey Sausage Bulk Type
- 1 Tablespoon Drippings With 1/3 Cup Hot Water
- 1 Medium Onion Chopped
- 4 Stalks Celery Chopped
- 1 Can Water Chestnuts Chopped
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Poultry Seasoning
- 1 Tablespoon Parsley Optional
- 1/8 Teaspoon Pepper
- Cube bread. Add onion, celery, water chestnuts, salt, poultry seasoning, parsley, and pepper.
- Brown sausage in fry pan. Remove sausage to already combined ingredients.
- Drain off all but 1 tablespoon of drippings from fry pan (if present). Add water to fry pan containing reserved drippings and loosen browns from bottom of fry pan. Sprinkle over bread-sausage mixture until damp, but not soggy.
- Can be made ahead to be ready to stuff turkey in the morning. If stuffing turkey ahead of time, thoroughly chill dressing. If baking separately from turkey, add chicken broth to keep moist.
Recipe prior to 1927 – Evolved since Calla Stacker