“Pastry is definitely an appropriate name for these. Mom use to make them for us and they sure are good.” – Calla Ferre
Danish Pastry Apple Bars
- 2 1/2 Cups Flour Sifted
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Cup Shortening
- 1 Egg Separated
- 1 Cup Corn Flakes
- 8-10 (8 Cups) Tart Apples Pared And Sliced
- 3/4 To 1 Cup Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- Combine flour and salt; cut in shortening. Beat egg yolk in measuring cup; add enough milk to make 2/3 cup liquid. Mix well; stir into flour mixture.
- On floured surface, roll half of the dough into a 17×12 inch rectangle; fit into and up sides of 15.5×10.5×1 inch baking pan.
- Sprinkle with corn flakes and top with apples. Combine sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle on top. Roll remaining dough to 15.5×10.5 rectangle. Place over apples.
- Seal edges; cut 5 slits in the top. Beat egg white until frothy; brush on crust. Bake in 375 degree oven for 50 minutes. Prepare powdered sugar glaze; drizzle on warm cookies. Makes 3 dozen.
1975 Recipe – Jean Hansen – From Better Homes and Gardens Magazine