“I remember my Mom making these. We got so spoiled with homemade pickles. They are so far superior to what you buy at the store.” – Calla Ferre
“This recipe came from my friend, Dorothy Dalkey, who was the head surgical nurse at Salem General Hospital. Her father-in-law owned the apartments we first lived in Oregon.” – Jean Hansen
Company Best Pickles (Sweet German Pickles)
- 10 Medium (21 Small) Cucumbers
- 8 Cups Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Mixed Pickling Spice
- 5 Teaspoons Salt Non-Iodized
- 4 Cups Cider Vinegar
- Cover whole cucumbers with boiling water. Allow to stand until next morning; drain. Repeat this procedure on next three mornings.
- On the fifth day, drain and slice in 1/2-inch pieces. Combine sugar, spices (wrapped in cheese cloth), salt and vinegar. Bring to boiling and pour over cucumbers. Let stand two days.
- On the third day, bring to boiling and seal in hot, sterilized jars. Makes 7 pints.
1950s Recipe – Dorothy Dalkey