“Also called ‘Christmas Coffee Cake’, my Mom would make this for Christmas morning. It’s a nice coffee cake to make for somebody at the holidays because it has a very nice presentation.” – Calla Ferre
- 2 Packages (2 1/4 Teaspoons) Active Dry Yeast
- 1/4 Cup Warm Water
- 3/4 Cup Milk Scalded & Cooled
- Grated Rind of 1 Lemon
- 4 1/2 Cups Sifted Flour
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Butter
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 2 Eggs Beaten
- 1/2 Cup (4 Ounces) Candied Citron, Chopped
- 1/2 Cup (4 Ounces) Candied Orange Peel, Chopped
- 1 1/2 Cups Raisins
- 3/4 Cup Blanched Almonds Chopped
- 1/4 Cup Melted Butter
- Powdered Sugar
- Dissolve yeast in warm water (110 degrees) in large bowl. Stir in milk, lemon rind and 1 1/2 cup flour. Beat until smooth. Cover with clean towel and let rise in warm place 45 minutes.
- Cream sugar, butter and salt. Add yeast mixture, eggs and remaining 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Turn out dough on lightly floured board. Press into ball. Knead until dough is smooth and elastic adding only enough flour to keep from sticking.
- Sprinkle candied citron on dough; knead in. Continue to add and knead in candied orange peel, raisins and almonds. Let rise for 2 hours or until doubled in size.
- Roll half the dough into oblong, 3/4-inch thick. Brush with melted butter and fold over in pocket book shape and press together. Repeat with other half of dough. Cover with clean towel and let rise 45 minutes.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes. Cool and sprinkle with powdered sugar
Recipe – Jean Hansen