“The ‘Christmas’ in Christmas Cauliflower comes from the green pepper and red pimento. This is a nice way to do up cauliflower to make it a little more exciting.” – April Ferre
- 1 Large Head Cauliflower Broken Into Florets
- 1/4 Cup Diced Green Pepper
- 1 Can Sliced Mushrooms Drained
- 1/4 Cup Butter
- 1/2 Cup Flour
- 2 Cups Milk
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Cup Shredded Swiss Cheese
- 2 Tablespoons Diced Pimento
- Parboil cauliflower in small amount of water (6 or 7 minutes). Drain well.
- Sauté green pepper and mushrooms in butter for 2 minutes.
- Add flour and salt and gradually stir in milk. Bring to boil; boil 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cheese and pimento; stir until cheese is melted.
- Place half in a 2 quart greased dish. Top with half of the sauce. Repeat layers.
- Baked uncovered at 325 degrees for 25 minutes or until bubbly. Sprinkle with paprika. Makes 8 to 10 servings.
Recipe – Jean Hansen