- 1 2 1/2- to 3-Pound Chicken Cut Up
- 1/2 Cup Seedless Green Grapes
- 1/2 Cup Toasted Slivered Almonds
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 2 Tablespoons Flour
- 1 1/2 Cup Hot Chicken Stock
- 1/4 Cup Dry Sherry
- 1/2 Cup Half & Half
- Salt To Taste
- Coarsely Ground Pepper To Taste
- Paprika To Taste
- 1/4 Cup Green Grapes For Garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place chicken, skin side up, in a single layer in a 13×9-inch baking pan. Bake 30 minutes. Pour fat from baking dish, discard.
- Sprinkle grapes and almonds over chicken.
- Melt butter in a large, heavy skillet over high heat. Stir in flour. Cook 1 to 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add stock, stir until smooth.
- Pour in sherry and half & half. Cook, stirring until thickened. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour sauce over chicken. Cover tightly with foil. Bake 30 minutes.
- Season with paprika. Garnish with green grapes. Serve hot. Makes 3 to 4 servings.
I like my sauces slightly thicker than most, so if desired, after removing chicken from the oven, pour sauce back into a saucepan and thicken with a flour/water mixture.
Recipe – Calla Ferre – From Chicken Cookery by Ceil Dyer, 1983