“I tried this for the first time in 2020, and this sauce is really tasty. A little sweet and a little spicy. I prefer a bit less spice, so I only used 1/2 teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes. It makes plenty of sauce that you can then freeze and use later.” – April Ferre
- 8 Bone-In Chicken Thighs
- 2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 1 Cup Water
- 2/3 Cup Packed Brown Sugar
- 2/3 Cup Soy Sauce
- 1/2 Cup Apple Juice
- 1/4 Cup Catsup
- 2 Tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 Cloves Garlic Minced
- 1 Teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 2 Tablespoons Cornstarch
- 2 Tablespoons Cold Water
- In a Dutch oven, brown chicken in oil in batches on both sides; drain. Return all of the chicken to the pan.
- In bowl, combine 1 cup water, brown sugar, soy sauce, apple juice, catsup, vinegar, garlic, pepper flakes and ginger; pour over chicken. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until chicken juices run clear.
- Remove chicken to a platter and keep warm. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and remaining water until smooth; stir into cooking juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Spoon over chicken. Makes 4 servings.
Recipe – Jean Hansen