“Chicken Divan is a classic dish, and a must have for chicken lovers. This is a very good version.” – Calla Ferre
- 4 Chicken Breasts Halved
- Water Slightly Salted
- 2 10- Ounce Packages Frozen Broccoli Or 2-3 Lbs Fresh Broccoli
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 2 Tablespoons Flour
- 1 Cup Chicken Broth
- 1 Teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 1/4 Cup Cheddar Cheese Grated
- 1 Cup Sour Cream Room Temperature
- Salt To Taste
- Paprika To Taste
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Simmer chicken lightly in salted water for 25 minutes or until just cooked through. Skin and bone cooked chicken.
- Cook broccoli and drain.
- Over medium heat, melt butter in a stainless steal, glass, or enamel saucepan. Stir in flour and cook until bubbly. Add broth and Worcestershire sauce. Cook, stirring until thickened. Reduce heat. Stir in 1 cup grated cheese, heating gently until melted.
- Empty sour cream into medium bowl. Gradually add cheese sauce, stirring constantly. Add salt to taste.
- Arrange broccoli in 8 portions in a 13x9x2 inch baking pan. Top each portion with half a chicken breast. Pour sauce over all. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and paprika.
- Bake 20 minutes or until heated through. Brown under broiler, if desired. Makes 8 servings.
Recipe – Calla Ferre – From Knudsen’s Cooking for Compliments, 1977