“Who doesn’t like a candy apple to remind them of fair time?” – Calla Ferre
“Great for Halloween as well.” – April Ferre
- 8 Medium Red Apples
- 8 Wooden Skewers Or Spoons
- 3 Cups Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Karo Crystal-Clear Syrup
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 1 Drop Oil of Cinnamon
- 1 Teaspoon Red Food Coloring
- Wash and dry apples; remove stems and insert skewers into stem ends.
- Combine sugar, Karo syrup and water in deep, heavy saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture boils. Then cook without stirring until temperature reaches 285 degrees (soft crack stage) or until a small amount of syrup dropped into very cold water separates into threads which are hard, but not brittle. Remove from heat.
- Add flavoring and coloring; stir only enough to blend. Hold each apple by the skewer and quickly twirl in syrup; allow excess to drip off, then twirl to spread syrup smoothly over apple. Place on lightly buttered baking sheet to cool. Store in cool place. Makes 8 servings.
Recipe – Calla Ferre