“I make a point of looking at the Wednesday newspaper, because it had the food and wine section where all the recipes came out. The food editors would get recipes from restaurants during their travels, so you could find some really good recipes sometimes.” – Calla Ferre
Cafe Beaujolais Buttermilk-Cinnamon Coffee Cake
- 2 1/4 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Cup Brown Sugar Packed
- 3/4 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 2 Teaspoons Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 3/4 Cup Corn Oil
- 1 Cup Almonds Sliced
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 Egg
- 1 Cup Buttermilk
- Mix flour, sugars, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, salt and ginger. Blend in oil until smooth.
- Remove 3/4 cup of mixture and combine with almonds and remaining 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Mix and set aside.
- To remaining flour mixture, add baking powder, baking soda, egg and buttermilk. Blend until smooth. Pour into buttered 9×13 inch baking pan. Sprinkle reserved nut mixture evenly over surface of batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes. Place on wire rack to cool. Cut into squares to serve. Makes 8-12 servings.
Recipe – Calla Ferre – From Cafe Beaujolais, Mendicino, California, via the Santa Cruz Sentinel