“Homemade soup is much better than canned, in fact, it is a different entity all together. Besides, I like broccoli soup.” – Calla Ferre
- 1 Bunch Or 3 Boxes Broccoli
- 1 Medium Onion Minced
- 3 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Cup Rice
- 6 Cups Light Stock Or Boiling Water
- 1 Cup Cream
- 1/4 Teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1/4 Teaspoon Pepper Or To Taste
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- Reserve a few flowerets of broccoli for garnish. Cook broccoli in boiling, salted water until just done, firm and very green. Place the broccoli, broken into small pieces, stems included, into a pan with the butter and minced onion. Cover and stream for 10 minutes. Stir once or twice, do not brown.
- Add the rice and stock, bring to boil, lower the flame and simmer 30 minutes. Strain through a fine sieve, forcing the vegetables through. Return to kettle, season, add the cream and butter. Heat again and serve with the reserved flowerets as garnish.
- To make this soup in a blender, cook as directed and then put the mixture, 2 cups at a time, through the blender, putting some of the solids in with each portion. Blend until a smooth puree is obtained. Return to kettle, add cream and butter, season and heat.
- Serve with a little salted whipped cream, if desired, and the broccoli flowerets on top.
2001 Recipe – Calla Ferre – From Telephone Pioneers of America Keepsake Edition, 1971